(Un)Fashionable Dolly


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



On the up: Looking gorgeous, being fashionable
On the down: Badly matched bras


I am starting to think that maybe I’m a little, tiny bit important since I managed to foray my way into the M-IFW launch party guest list (only because I wrote for the Mifa magazine). It only goes to show how little I actually get out when I get excited about being invited to just ONE party the whole year.

(Okay, that’s a lie. I was invited to some posh Royal Selangor thing last week too but I errr…. FFK’ed on Su Ming last minute because I got caught up in a conversation about Gurus being psychotic which I couldn’t (didn’t want) to leave).

Anyway, it was really quite a pretty event, done at One Bangsar. Such a nice bloody change from the usual boring launches at Zouk and Maison and all those other overdone venues.


Anyway, I’d been at KMP all afternoon and by 7pm was knackered and ready to go to sleep liao. I was SO not feeling glam enough to bother with that whole party thing. I went anyway only because I had to do two stories about the event, remember, and couldn’t possibly just ring up the editor the next day and say, “Oh, I didn’t feel like going, so no story. Sorry”, especially not as they were about to offer me new writing jobs.

So I put on my fluffy bubble skirt and dragged Pooh Bear (JJ) along with me. We arrived so late that it wasn’t even fashionable anymore… and it was only because we spent ages eating dinner (greedy!).

They were doing all the speeches when we arrived, so we had to squeeze our way past everybody. I noticed on the way that I was possibly the only girl in the entire room that wasn’t wearing makeup so I started feeling very Peppermint Patty. At some point, I thought, oh fuck it, at least I’m making some sort of statement even if I look crap doing it.

ANYWAY, William Kee found me and said in a panicky way, “Why you so late?! Come, come, you’re a contributor, we're giving you a present. You gotta go on stage.”

STAGE?! WTF. There were cameras and cameras and cameras and like 500 people all looking at the flipping stage. I like cameras, but only when I get to go behind it or tell people what to take, not when it’s big fat floodlights.

Why didn’t they tell me so I could have made some effort not to turn up looking like such a rag.

I tried to run away but William kept saying “STAY HERE OKAY” and okay, I admit, I just really wanted my present.

When it was finally my turn (they even called out my name – just like being in school again, going up to get a prize), I ran as quick as I could, hoping to get off as quick as I could. The lady presenting the gifts was Aileen, who I only ever remember as “Hey, I went drinking with you, remember!”

I tried to just grab the present and leg it out but she wouldn’t give it to me, damnit. She was being super nice and was all like “Hey! I know you!” and wanted to give me a hug and all that and there I was perasaanly trying to take the bag from her.

They caught my whole greedy behaviour on film. Eeech.

I finally got off. Whew.

I dragged Pooh to go sit down in some quiet corner so I wouldn’t have to pretend to be nice to people I didn’t know that well. I’m so antisocial sometimes that I really don’t know how I end up writing lifestyle and fashion stories.

Some guy came up wanting to take pooh and my photo. We shooed him away in a BIG way, like no no no no no no no no no no go away! There’s nothing more humiliating than finding your face plastered somewhere like the Tatler or one of those tired social rags ewwww.
We took our own silly DIY pix though, which gets aired on Dollyblog instead - so much more fabulous!

At some point, I realised that not only did I have no makeon except chapstick (and only because my lips felt dry and horrible), but that I also had incredibly flat, ungroomed, growing-out hair. It was looking so bad that people had even started to ask me, "WHEN are you going to cut your hair?! When?!"

I did, however feel very proud of myself with my fluffy bubble skirt. There were actually lots of them around so I felt a bit clever about the fact that even though I hadn't bothered with a shred of eyeliner, I did seem to have psychically tapped into the big NOW of bubble skirts.

Syeba (Mifa founder) was wearing the most Dolly outfit ever *covets* and even though she had like a million people to be photographed with and to kiss (both cheeks), I dragged her away for a photo, so our bubble skirts could meet each other.

Okay okay. My bubble skirt is more Bjork than Syeba, and more soap suds than bubble, but damnit, it's still pretty.

Also, WHY is my ugly white bra showing through so disgustingly?! Biggest fashion faux pas: not checking what colour bra you're wearing on the inside, which only goes to show what kind of totally Un-Bothered mood I was in yesterday when I chucked the my clothes on.

Let's pretend for a moment that I was trying to make a statement and hey, the crudeness is probably to be expected of me, isn't it?

Syeba is wonderfully offering me work with Mifa, even though I never seem to turn up to meetings with her on time, and turn up to one of the city's most important fashion events wearing an ugly old white bra that shows through.

AND she has a daughter that looks like a cabbage patch kid. She is SO DAMN CUTE, it makes me wish I had one just like that (saying a lot, since the only thing I normally want to do with children is cook them).

Finally, eventually, whew, I found people I knew which relieved the boredom hugely. See, there's just no point in being invited to one of these events where everyone is at when you don't actually know anyone.

Kyan from The Attic was there, of course. I would be surprised if he wasn't, seeing as he knows, like EVERYBODY.

I asked him, "Did you try my cupcakes?"
He said, "Yah yah yah!"
I asked, "Hey, did Lorraine get any?"
He said, "No, I ate them all."

Aiyo, the reason I made cupcakes in the first place was FOR Lorraine, since everytime she sees me, she talks about cupcakes.

Never mind, Kyan has this face that can get away with anything, like eating all the cupcakes.

Pooh and I also found our most favourite boy in the whole world - KIN!

Actually, Kin found me. He stood in front of me and said hello and I must have had my WTF face on again because I couldn't figure out why or how I knew him.

He said, "You don't know who I am, do you?"
I'm a very honest sort of person. I said, "Errrrrr, no wor."
He said, "I'm Kin lah! We went drinking together!!!"

Oh yaaaaaaaaaaaah. It's only cos he was wearing glasses the last time and looked like Peter Pan, and now he looked all grown up. He was trying to get drunk but obviously wasn't since he could still tell us all the different drinks he had, and in which order. Doesn't he look fed up....

But he's not the sort to stay sad for long...




He is officially the cutest person we know and it's so so sooooooo sad that he's leaving to Melbourne booo! (ps, Kin, do you think you can pass me your writing jobs when you're gone?!?! - oh gawd, freelance writers are just perpetually out of work and trying to scrounge from other people's cast offs!)

Then I suddenly realised that I was actually supposed to be interviewing someone for an article - some famous model or something but damn me if I knew who that was supposed to be. Uh oh. And since I can't tell a celebrity from a fruit loop, it was going to be a bit hard.

Thank god for unjudgemental friends like William who told me who to talk to (although I couldn't hear what he was saying properly and so, still don't actually know what her name is).

Such a hardworking, attentive journalist I am.

Also a bit hard since the dude who gave me the story didn't give me ANY direction. It was literally just, "Oh, by the way, can you interview this Singaporean model?" and then rang off before I could ask him anything. No name, no information, no history, no pointers on what aspects to look at, no nothing. Does that mean I can just ask her anything I want???

Like, "Hi, what's your name?"
And "What does it feel like to be so tall?"
And "Does it irritate you when short guys try to pick you up?"
And "Since your legs are so long, do you fit all the trousers at Zara?"
And "Were you mean to the ugly kids when you were at school?"

Meh. I left the party early and went home to sleeeeeeeeeeep. I'm so not very good at this social butterfly thing. Just not in the mood, and anyway, I've told myself I won't havefungomad and party until I finish an article I've been writing for the past two weeks... it's taking FOREVER!

Meh. Fuck it. I'm sleepy now, off to bed x x x

|

Previous posts

Back tracking...

Dolly also writes for...

Dolly reads...

Write to...

  • dollyblogATyahooDOTcom