RTM Dolly


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



On the up: Television and KSK
On the down: Homelessness

I'm starting to get used to this television thing! I'm feeling all so au naturel about it. It's rather lovely being a sort-of starlet for the day for a good reason.

Sharon the fish, Nana Tan the smallest girl in the world (really. she fits in a thimble) and I got out of bed at an ungodly hour this morning and made our way to RTM, to be interviewed on their breakfast show, Hello on 2.

It was so damn early - who wakes up that early, yo! But wow, really, there's like a WHOLE NEW WORLD out there at 7 in the morning. Who knew! It's fascinating.

We had to go to the guardhouse to get visitor passes and the dude asked me in malay what I was here for. So I stupidly said in my very bad Malay, "RTM lah!"

He looked at me like I was very plainly an idiot (which I often am, before 8am). Like d'oh. There's only a whole building dedicated to it. "Ya lah, RTM! Rancangan apa?"

What the hell is a rancangan?

I screamed, "NANAAAAAAAAA What is he saying?!"

Fortunately, that was all the Malay I had to deal with. The show was in English and the hosts were super trooper. Angie, one of the hosts, was wearing the most lovely swirly dress that made me feel dizzy in a happy morning sort of way.

We were being interviewed about Kechara Soup Kitchen which is made up of angels, truly, and who do the most fantastic work, EVER. I've only volunteered a few times because a) there's always something on Saturday so I can't go or b) I forgot or c) I'm a princess and would rather be doing something spoilt.

BUT really, these folks go out every single Saturday come rain, shine, political rallies, traffic jams to distribute food to homeless people all over the city centre. They're distributing 250 packets of food by food - no small feat I tell yah and I tip my shiny beret to them. I can barely manage my comfortable cushy life of working from a laptop, least of all trekking through the rats in Pudu Market every weekend.

The few times I've been have been extremely warming experiences though - the people and the life we meet out there will shock, sadden and make you realise that REALLY, there is nothing for us to bitch about.

So. Finally I have a chance to put my big mouth to some use - I managed to talk about it chat chat chat on national television huzzah and hopefully it will inspire something in the people watching.

It'll be up on YouTube as soon as we do a whole lot of complicated technical stuff to the recording so you can see see seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

|

Previous posts

Back tracking...

Dolly also writes for...

Dolly reads...

Write to...

  • dollyblogATyahooDOTcom