Beach Dolly


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



On the up: Lazy beach holidays
On the down: When work starts tomorrow....
After all the traipsing about in heat, humidity and grime, we bloody well deserved to just go sit on a beach for a day and do absolutely nothing.
We'd decided on Pangkor Laut Resort just to be spoilt and pampered and indulgent. Should have realised that it would be one of those uber romantic places that's made for honeymooning so we ended up just being surrounded by heaps and heaps and heaps of sickeningly loved up couples.
We did, however, bump into a close friend of the DollyMummy's, Sal and her mother Sue, who are just enormous fun and full of funny stories all the time. I swear, we were the only four people on that whole island who were not married or having an affair haha.
Eleni and I got one of those hill villas, which involved climbing up 100 steps just to get to the bloody thing but the room and view were gorgeous.
The famous huts over the water were for people who Could Pay More so cheapskate us got relegated to the hilltop among the monkeys instead. We figured all the walking up those stairs would do us good while we were doing nothing but eat and lounge.
We took pictures of it anyway, to remind ourselves of what we can aspire to come back to one day when we're Happily-Ever-After married to some extremely rich man who can afford to bring us there for a holiday for a whole month.
Just so idyllic and prettee and isolated
The pool bunny in me was real disappointed in the teensy weensy pool and how all the sundecks around it looks squashed up and claustrophobic. So I spent all my time reading, sunning and taking photos to try to be artistic instead.
Quite clever hor? How the pool blends into the sea?...
The main beachy bit, Emerald Bay, which gets mentioned a lot on travel programmes was on the other side of the island so we had to take a shuttle bus. But once there, it BLISS! The fact that it was well on the other side of the island made it somehow feel like you were further away from the whole wide world and could block them (and all the work and nagging) forever and ever.

Lots of sun, sand, sea - no wonder Gilligan looked so damn happy all the time...

We decided to spent the whole of the second day there - from about 11am to 7pm - doing Sweet Fuck All. Thank god for good books like Alan Hollinghurst to keep you feeling indolent, lazy, lolling and decadent.

Just because I'm immature and nasty like that, I made the extra effor to take my phone down to the beach with me, snapped a photo and mass MMSed it out to everybody who I knew would be at work (it was a Monday - which made feeling smug all the more sweet). I sent it off with a message that I hoped they were "having a nice monday because I know I am!"

Ben texted back, "You know, you really are a prick" which made me almost want to go "neh neh neh neh neh."

Our little home for the next 8 hours under a big leafy tree, and right in front of lots of sea and sunshine!

This beach has this excellent Just-Right combo between sun and shade so you can pretend to be a bit of a lizard and mooch in and out of the sun, depending on how much you can bear the sun and/or how deteremined you are to get a tan... which meant I was there pretty much all the time, determined to bake.

Sun oil and a good book is all you need to sizzle and fry and ignore the fact that you're actually killing off all your skin cells with harmful UV rays.

Eleni doesn't bother with the hassle of those weird tippy white loungers. She gets right out there with the sundeck mattresses - comfy cosy!

The only thing we bothered to do was to eat lunch which was at a cafe two steps away from our sun loungers so that didn't involve much hard work at all. In fact, we were both feeling like very happy beach bunnies...


We stuck around until sunset, when all the loved up couples started to drizzle in to eat dinner by the beach. Sickening.

Then again, the sunset sure was pretty!




A couple sitting near our sun loungers asked me to take a photo of them with the sunset (so sweet it makes me want to vomit - arg!). One of the very helpful resort staff ended up taking over to take the pix (he would know all the best angles after all these years). So after that, Eleni and I thought we'd ask him to take a photo of us too.

We're well smiley, sunkissed and real smappy.

It occured to me later that people might have thought we were a lesbian couple. I wouldn't be surprised since everyone I meet already thinks I'm a lesbian, gee. As it is, someone already asked me at my birthday party is Eleni was "just a friend? or a girlfriend?" aiyoooo. (If you hang out with a guy a lot, people think you're dating him; if you hang out with a girl a lot, they think you're a lesbian - what happened to good old friendships?)

We only got to stay for 2 nights though, so we were back on that ferry waaaay too soon and shuttling back on a crappy bus to KL.

Maybe that's a good thing though. I think the longer I stayed, the harder it would be to get back to reali life. Thing is no matter how long you stay on an island, it's never enough. I'm already scheming of ways to get away to another beach as soon as possible and am sooooooooo sooooo dreading having to start work again (this sudden explosion of blogposts is just another tactic to delay having to work...)

But well, it's Monday (much too) soon and my big nasty SMS mail out has come to bite me on the ass because now it's time for me to get my nose back on the grindstone and meet all those deadlines while lots of other people are out there sitting on that nice beach arggggg!!!

Evil Joe has been leaving me subtle messages on MSN to remind me about work. And then he follows up by sending an email as well. It is all punishment for that one tiny MMS.

I so hate him at the moment. Pffft.

|

Previous posts

Back tracking...

Dolly also writes for...

Dolly reads...

Write to...

  • dollyblogATyahooDOTcom